A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, June 3, 2017

An Unexpected Find


 We left the fridged forest early the following morning and drove down 2000 feet in elevation and enjoyed a pleasant breakfast at an abandoned gas station.  I was feeling better already.  Afterwards I saw a sign for a turnoff to Fort Bridger and went for it.  There next to the fort was this.

My longtime followers may recall Sinbad and I following the Lincoln Highway as much as we could across the Great Plains states on one of our trips.  So seeing this was a special treat for me.

I like those prices.  Yes, one could get a lot more for their dollar back then.  I just like the idea of dealing with smaller amounts of money.  Makes things simpler, plus when you find a nickle on the ground, you really found something.

Looking through the door window the office was fixed up just as it probably was at the time.


Really a narrow space to park your car.  You'd have to unload the wife, kids, luggage, dog and cat outside then pull in, park and squeeze your way out.

Three of the rooms were staged and you could see inside through the Plexiglas covering the doorway.
This was wonderful to see.

 It made me think back to how much I really enjoyed searching this kind of history on previous trips.  I thought how I should be doing that now instead of wandering around aimlessly.

Since then I've got maps out and started looking.  Looking for history to discover. 
I need to readjust the plan, which was really no plan at all in the beginning of this venture.

The evening was spent in a Walmart parking lot in Evanston, Wyoming where, much to my delight, 
I was comfortably warm and didn't have to bundle up to take Beans out for her walk. 



5 comments:

  1. Nice to see. Yes America the inventor of the motel overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks indeed a bit old fashioned decorated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice corner of American history preserved. If you are in Wyoming, have you ever been to the Indian Medicine Wheel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice corner of American history preserved. If you are in Wyoming, have you ever been to the Indian Medicine Wheel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great find, and very cool little cabins. You're right, the car spaces seem ultra-narrow, and if you weren't a good driver, you could do some major damage to a cabin!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.