A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Henry's Fork


I take all the back roads and scenic by-ways I see on the map.  
This way I can poke along at 40, 45 mph and not piss off too many drivers.

This route was named Mesa Falls Scenic Drive up in the north east corner of Idaho.  
At a pullout along the road where I could stop, stretch my legs and look at Lower Mesa Falls.

I stood there thinking what I lucky boy am I to be able to be here and see the things I do each day.
The falls are 65 feet high.

Up the road a little way was Upper Mesa Falls at 114 feet high.  Ah, but here they wanted to charge me $5 to see a bunch of water fall over a cliff.  Ha!

Just around lunch time I found this campsite along Henry's Fork.  Wow!
This is in the heart of the fur trappers and mountain men country of the early 1800's.
Did I mention how I feel so lucky?

Wildflowers abound here.



I don't care if this is Grizzly Bear country,
I'm going full-on Jeremiah Johnson and this pilgrim is doing some hiking here.

The Next Day

The tree that refused to die.
Long ago this tree was cut down for whatever reason for it was just left to lie there.

A new tree growing right up from the middle of its parent.

Walking in the forest has its wonderful sounds of the wind in the tree tops, the birds chirping and singing all about and mosquitoes buzzing in your ears. But there just isn't much to see or discover.
Well there was a pile of bear poop and had I known that would be the only photo-worthy object I would find, you'd be seeing a pile of poop here.  
No animals (not even those noisy birds), no interesting rock formations, abandoned mines, lost artifacts from early settlers and I usually couldn't see any further than how far I could throw a rock, if there were a rock to be thrown.  I think I like my deserts better for hiking.

Henry's Fork is very popular with the fisherman.
 Okay, you don't get scenes like that in the desert.  The mountains have got that going for them.

And too they have their own special wildflowers.

Some areas were so thick with these flowers I had to tip-toe through...I wonder if they are tulips?

Reader's input: What's the best mosquito repellent I should get?  
I'm going to have to buy something soon.
Real soon!





7 comments:

  1. I like this area very much, the mountains and the waters. But can imagine you want to explore something more. About mosquito repellent I can't help you. In the US everything is different and we don't have so much mosquito's here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pretty yellow flowers are Yellow Avalanche Lily or Glacier Lily, Erythronium grandiflorum. And definitely get an insect repellent that contains DEET. And carry something to make a loud noise to scare away any bears!

    ReplyDelete
  3. REI has the best repellent. It's called Jungle Juice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love seeing those flowers...getting me in the mood to head West again, John. I always used something with DEET, but best defense is to wear long=sleeves and long pants that are cool as well(I always bought whenever I found something gauzy). btw, don't forget your ears when you get your repellent :) I've also heard lots of good things aboout Jungle Juice, but have no direct experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do sounds like you're having a great time. Those look like Avalanche Lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous scenery you had there, a place I could wallow in for days. Not sure about the Mozzy repellent, I know I was eaten alive by them in Florida many years ago

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recommend Burt's Bees Herbal mosquito repellent. It's the natural one that you're most likely to find where you're at. You can find it at a Walmart nowadays. Or Walgreens. Avoid anything with Deet in it. Deet is dangerous to the central nervous system. Good luck. Fab photos btw ;) Henry's Fork is beautiful..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.