A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Lake Leo, Washington


We found a Forest Service camp to stay at, the only one around for miles.  To stay at Washington State Parks you need their Discover Pass for $35.  I got on their website and cannot make any sense of the pass.  As near as I can figure it just entitles you to get in the park and that's about all.  Camping fees are on top of that.  You can't camp without the pass, I guess.  And, you send away for the thing then wait for it to show up in the mail at the same time you renew your vehicle license (Huh!?) or go to a vendor...somewhere.  You already know how I feel about government bureaucracy from yesterday's post so you can imagine how this sets with me.
(later entry)
I finally found online that Washington Parks camp site fees are $25 to $35, plus you have to reserve online which is an additional $8 fee, and if you are a non-resident there is a non-refundable $5 fee on top of that and lets not forget the damn Discover Pass of $35 just to get started.
 I doubt the State of Washington Parks will be seeing any of my money!

Lake Leo had these aquatic plants growing in it.  Probably something that isn't supposed to be there.
 Can you spot the fisherman in the kayak?

Pretty yellow flower though.

This was the only wildlife I was able to get a picture of in and out of the times it was raining.  This has to be the biggest ant heap I have yet found.  There were thousands swarming over the surface.
My day at Promontory Point and the reason I didn't go to Yellowstone comes to my mind. 
Just imagine the hoard within that mound.


I did hear some animal rustling through the dense green undergrowth and went in to track it down.  Once in I smelled skunk.  "Well this wasn't a good idea.  He knows where I am and I haven't the faintest idea where he is!"


4 comments:

  1. I wonder if all those ants had paid their $35.....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been able to get my head round the American system of chargeing for park entrance, and size dosn't really matter, I visited some really small one in Florida and still got fleeced. All parks and National parks in the UK are free, we only get charged for castles and country houses.
    All the best, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the opposite experience of what we found in Texas. We paid for the Park Pass and had great and cheap access to any of the camping sites we could find. The sites were very large, covered picnic area for each campsite and not stacked up against your neighbors. We had a great time wandering around Texas and we stayed longer just to enjoy more of their state parks.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.