A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Lind and Beyond


We left Odessa and headed south towards some camp areas along the Snake River.  This is the little town of Lind, the first little town I leisurely drove through that day. Few if any businesses appeared to still be in operation although they were closed. Most all of the buildings were boarded up, out of business, empty, abandoned or were being used for storage by their owner. Lind was the largest of a half a dozen little towns I drove through and seemed the hardest hit. Kahlotus, Washtucna, Hooper, Pampa (I must have blinked my eye because I never saw Pampa), LaCrosse (this one was on a side spur for the main highway and showed more life than the others) and Dusty (well named) all looked to be on life support.  I should have stood in the middle of the street to get this photo so both sides full of vacant buildings would be visible.  There surely was no chance of my being hit by a car; nothing moved in this town. No people were out, not even a dog or cat did I see.

I stopped at their lovely little park, the only thing of life in Lind.  There was a heart felt dedication plaque along with this large metal sculpture, erected some years ago by the residents expressing the love of their little town and wanting to preserve it's history and heritage.  They knew of the two brothers who founded the town and platted the land in 1888 giving names to the streets that started with each letter from their last name, Neilson, but the town didn't quite grow enough to use the final "n". No one knows why they named the town Lind and they were sorry that they would never know.

No doubt if you are a local you will find this park bench very comfortable.

Ever try to get a cat to pose for a picture? Finally she got wrapped around the pole and laid down.  I wish I had stepped to the side and got the park in the background instead of a empty building.

Now this would be something to see, combines getting a good threshing.

I had bad directions to the proposed camps along the Snake and after going half way of the 15 miles in on a dirt road I was facing signs stating "End of County Maintained Road" (it got visably rough from then on) and "Road Closed Ahead - No Trespassing".  So now I was in a funk, tired and with nowhere to go as I drove out from there. Back on the highway we soon came upon these hills.  
A bright spot in an otherwise dismal day.


A half hour later I saw this sign and it was good.

It just felt nice to be out of the State of Washington and Back in the USSR. (Beatles song)
There is no real proof that the town changed its name in 1875 
from Paradise Valley to Moscow in reference to the capitol of Russia.


6 comments:

  1. From Washington to Moscow - that's quite a defection. So sad to see so many deserted settlements along the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite amazing what you find on your travels, I know one thing its always interesting.
    All the best, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How green is my valley. Love the picture with the dogs not allowed in the park and then the cat. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so sad to see a town deserted like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A combine demolition derby, I really really want to see that!
    What a shame to see those empty little towns, but perhaps they weren't as empty as you thought. Everyone at work in the nearby town?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those canola fields really are BRIGHT!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.