A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Return to Yellowstone


With the eclipse now history, family summer vacations over and school back in session I thought I would try another visit to Yellowstone National Park hopefully to be able to see some of what I was denied last month.  Ah yes, it proved to be much nicer this go-around.  Coming in from the south entrance this time, the first stop was the West Thumb Geyser Basin.


 Doesn't this look so inviting to swim in?  Different pools have different temperatures and you can tell how hot they are by the color of the algae and bacteria around the edges.  Being there is none present on this pool, it must be pretty doggone hot!


As the water drains away it cools down and algae can live.  I really enjoyed all the marvelous colors.



Some pools are called paintpots for the water mixed with sediments
 is really thick bubbling away just like boiling paint.


8 comments:

  1. Timing is everything when visiting popular spots. The colours of the algae are astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful to look at but no doubt like you said Hot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved those geysers there. Watched the Old Faithfull rising up with some hick-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to visit Yellowstone. The colours of the algae are quite lovely. I saw a similar area of geysers and hot water when I was in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yellowstone is one of my favorites. Just so much beauty everywhere. You're giving me the wanderlust, now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interesting colours! Nice to know that there's a time you can go without the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting that you can predict the water temps based on the algae. Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's on my list of places to visit. Looks like late August weather is still fairly warm.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.