Living in an RV isn't much different than in a house in regards to the fact that things break. As I was getting ready for bed last night I noticed the display on the solar charge controller was blank.
No power. Nothing worked. Groan, I don't need this!!
I dug out the papers on the device, looked online to see if they still made this particular one (they do, $29.95. Guaranteed delivery by Monday if you order in the next xxx hours) and tried to get it out of my mind so I could go to sleep. I'll deal with it in the morning.
Rain was scheduled for the morning so that was okay. I'd be trapped inside anyway. Its just electrical stuff isn't my strong suit. I feel like a first grader when doing electrical things.
I had to clear out and disassemble the cabinet beneath the sink to track down wires seeing which was which and went to where. In spite of my limited electrical expertise I should give myself credit in the fact that I at least have done all the electrical work including installing the solar system all myself without burning down the house. At any rate, anytime I have to fix something I have to reeducate myself on what I had created long ago.
First thing was to establish that the unit was toast. I bypassed everything connecting it directly to the batteries. Glory be, the display came on! Well that's encouraging. Its not the unit itself. I began tracking wires and checking for a break in the delivery of juice. I found it. A crimped connection that looked well and good yet inside there was a build up of green corrosion. I cut that away and put in a new crimp connection and we have power! This took all morning but I was fine with it since the surgery was successful. If the patient was truly dead, then I wouldn't be as happy as I am right now.
The rain stopped, the sun came out and oh happy day!
No shower of sparks occurred during this project. That's always nice.
And with that I close with a cute picture of Beans.
Dad, I heard something out there.