The battery in Gracie was on its last leg. A few times in the morning the green light wouldn't even show when I turned the key on. After several kicks Gracie would come to life. I'd ride around a bit and the battery would charge up. It was just not holding the charge overnight. I broke down and bought a new battery. I had to buy the battery acid (to the right) separately. Finally it arrived. I put the acid into the battery and had 6 volts in a short time. Cool beans. I didn't have to charge it.
Gracie is happy now.
I had a regular quality bicycle cover on the bike in back on the carrier. After a couple years of being exposed to the sun the material began to give way. After numerous patchings and tapings, I broke down once again and bought something different - a canvas tarp. The silver thing was part of the old bicycle cover. It was on the top portion, made of a reflective rubberized material for sun protection. It was still in good shape. I cut it out and was in the process of installing some grommets onto it when the wind picked up and I quit work for the day. The plan is to secure it in place somehow.
I haven't quite figured that part out yet.
Another day and a workable solution. I added a few more grommets and ran some nylon rope through them. I think it will stay in place while driving. This will give the tarp a bit more life where it is exposed directly to the sun. It's a bit of a hassle installing the tarp and all. The only alternative is to leave the bicycle exposed to the elements and eyes of thieves.
I also had to make a repair to my new sunshade. The grommet ripped out.
All the while I was working on this Beans assumed her supervisory position.